Sunday, January 19, 2014

La Primera Semana (The First Week)

After living just one week here, I understand what Costa Ricans mean by their famous phrase "pura vida" (which translates to "pure life" but really is a way of life that's "full of life" or "real living"). I'm already feeling adjusted to the slower pace, constant sunshine, beautiful spanish language, and tropical habitat (probably due to the fact that I'm on this adventure with my supportive and spanish-speaking husband, Gabriel :).

Just as a recap, we've left Washington, D.C. and are here in Potrero, Guanacaste, Costa Rica for a few months testing out life in Latin America. A major reason for this adventure is to complete my practicum project for my Master's in Social Enterprise at American University. For this project, I'm conducting an assessment for the nonprofit, Abriendo Mentes (AM), to see how they can enhance the social enterprise model for their Women's Empowerment Program, Mujeres Activas de Potrero (MAP)




I've created this blog for two reasons
       1) to keep friends and family up to date on our adventure (yes, we know you're living vicariously through us ;)
      2) to share some of my experiences working on the community development side of social enterprise (I hope this can aid your own work in some way or simply help you learn more about what social enterprise really is)


Abriendo Mentes, which means "Opening Minds," is a non-profit community development initiative that empowers rural Costa Rican communities by providing educational,technological and social programs. These programs include computer and english classes (for children and adults) as well as fitness activities and the women's empowerment program, Mujeres Activas de Potrero ("Active Women of Potrero").  


We all helped out with the Playa Potrero Community Beach Cleanup which helps the beach keep its well-known national Blue Flag certification (this is 2 blocks from our house :).


Mujeres Activas de Potrero (MAP) is a program created by Abriendo Mentes that aims to empower the local women in Potrero, Guanacaste, Costa Rica through economic, educational and health programs.



The women's advanced sewing group: Damaris, Yerlande, Tina and Gladys

HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE WEEK:

We got settled into our new house which is not as rough as we expected! It's a 3-year old two bedroom, we have AC units in each room, internet and a beautiful view of our family's banana farm from the bedrooms. The best part about our apartment (aside from the low rent) is the family that owns and lives on the property. Carlos and Marlene live in the main house (with guard dog Osa and Rocky). They are super sweet people that are always chatting with us and have been super helpful teaching us about Costa Rican home life (including cooking beans on the outdoor fire and hanging our laundry on the lines). Laura and Donni (the daughter of Marlene) also live on the property with their two children Chianti and Josueya.




I've had LOTS of Spanish Class!! Getting up to par to be able to work with the women's group in Spanish. I love my teacher, Ivette, who is super sweet and encouraging.

Loving the small town simple life! Outdoor laundry, see the same folks around town all day long, gorgeous flora and fauna surrounding me instead of concrete, biking and walking everywhere in t-shirts and shorts (goodbye work suit), rising at for cool mornings and humming birds at 6 am and asleep by 8:30 pm.




I was pumped after my first project with the sewing group - creating a flyer for the upcoming beginners sewing class. Rather than drafting one and then getting their approval, I decided to use a white board to get the women to come up with the content and layout (although I did end up adding a few graphics). I felt such a rush of satisfaction from actually working face-to-face with the beneficiaries of this program rather than from a headquarters office countries away. It was great seeing them take ownership of something on the business side of the project - showing their capacity to lead. I felt empowered watching them! :)






Life so far is relaxed and every day there's time for something fun and new :)


Trivia night fundraiser for Abriendo Mentes at The Shack - a big hit each month.
Go team Falling Scorpion (yes, there are scorpions here).



The view from Las Brisas Restaurant where we were checking our email last week.

8 comments:

  1. This is wonderful,Jessica:)! I'm so happy to see you're enjoying this new life. It makes me miss my times in the moutains of Vietnam too,rising to the birds' songs and surrounded by nature. Happier to hear that u're loving working with the community and being inspired by them throughing seeing them having strong ownership. Keep it up<3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply beautiful! Thanks for sharing; I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings from New Orleans, where our family is spending MLK weekend! Another full of life location, though perhaps not as pure. We are dining well: Acme, Arnouds, Commander's Palace, du Monde, and Stanley's, all Jessica's recs. Also visited the wonderful Garden District Gallery. Trip's been lots of fun, including running into the same street musicians at Royal and Toulouse that my wife and I heard in 1991. Some places never change.

    Anyway, it sounds like you're both off to a good start in Costa Rica! Wonderful, though I don't think your practicum proposal mentioned living two blocks from a beach ....

    All the best!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica, your dad forwarded me the blog, I would love to be included in your list, in case he forgets. Love reading your comments and missing CR....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guanacaste is beautiful--looks like you guys are settling in well! Looking forward to hearing more about the project. Jealous of your opportunity to perfect your Spanish in that setting. Think the Ticos have the most soothing and polite manner of speaking of any country I've visited.

    If you make it up into Puntarenas at all let me know. The cloud forest national park is amazing and I know a birding guide who will be very helpful. Lots of SE happening in Monteverde that would be a chance for you to see a little something different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Gabe!

      Headed to Monteverde soon - really looking forward to the hummingbird sanctuary there. What social enterprises would you recommend - I'd love to check some out while we're there?

      Delete
  6. Thank you for everyone's comments! I love reading your responses and am so glad you're enjoying the blog. :)

    ReplyDelete